Temporary Generators and Power Poles
Temporary Portable Generators:
Residential properties which have a need for a temporary portable generator during construction, prior to obtaining power through a temporary power pole, shall be limited in their use.
The purpose of this policy is to regulate the use of temporary generators by establishing standards to limit community impacts.
The following applies to the use of temporary generators:
1. Must be portable and may be easily relocated.
2. Temporary generators are to be located a minimum distance from any property line according to the following table:
Time in Use Hours
Required Setback from
Required Setback from
3. If the minimum distance cannot be achieved, then the generator shall be located the most extreme distance practical to inhibit noise. Other methods to inhibit noise may be utilized when practical.
4. May be operational for five consecutive calendar days.
5. After five consecutive calendar days of use, power shall be provided through the use of a temporary power pole.
6. Usage is limited to weekdays between the hours from 8:00 AM and 3:30 PM Monday through Friday. No use on the weekends or Federal holidays.
Temporary Power Poles: Electrical permits are also required to be obtained at the City of Newport Beach City Hall Building Division. Click on Electrical/Mechanical/Plumbing Permit Application to obtain an application form.
Southern California Edison is this City’s electrical utility provider. Their Electrical Service Requirements (ESR) can be obtained at Electrical Service Requirements (ESR - PDF). Current as of April 27, 2012.
The ESR Manual provides guidance and instructions pertaining to electrical service connections. Its purpose is to assist electrical contractors, engineers, architects, and manufacturers engaged in the installation of electrical service wiring and equipment. The installation requirements for overhead service to temporary power poles can be found from pages 2-27 through 2-33 and pages 3-7 through 3-8 for underground service to temporary power poles.
Requests for a Temporary Power Pole can be registered at SCE Temporary Power Service Request.
City of Newport Beach Documents & Links:
- Temporary Portable Generators Policy
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Electrical/Mechanical/Plumbing Permit Application
Southern California Energy Documents & Links:
- Electrical Service Requirements (ESR - pdf)
- Temporary Power Service Request
Electrical permits are also required to be obtained at the City of Newport Beach City Hall Building Division. Click on Electrical/Mechanical/Plumbing Permit Application to obtain an application form.