The City of Newport Beach does not provide the electricity for the city; we rely on Southern California Edison for electricity. Edison International is the parent company of Southern California Edison and Edison Mission Group. All of which are committed to providing reliable electric service throughout central, coastal, and southern California. More than 14 million people rely this company for power and, as one of the nation’s largest electric utilities, they also provide expert tips, tools, and programs to help Californians conserve and save.
What is a Flex Alert?
A Flex Alert is a statewide public education and emergency alert notification system that helps manage summer peak-electricity demand by requesting the public to reduce consumption and shift demand to off-peak hours (after 6:00 p.m.). A Flex Alert is called by California Independent System Operator (CAISO) based on system conditions and forecasted demand.
How You Can Help
- Set your A/C or thermostat at 78° or above
- Use fans to help keep cool
- Turn off computers, equipment, and appliances that are not absolutely necessary
- Shut off lights when you leave a room
- Avoid using evaporative coolers or humidifiers when A/C is running
- Postpone using your major appliances until after 6 p.m.
- Close the blinds, drapes, or shutters to keep out the sun and heat
- At work, shift power-intensive processes to off-peak times
What is a Rotating Power Outage?
If an electrical system emergency occurs, two things will happen: California Independent System Operator (CAISO) will formally declare an emergency, then immediately direct Southern California Edison (SCE) to reduce their electrical load.
SCE may then use rotating outages and will inform certain customers (Essential use customers [non-residential providing essential public health, safety and security services, including hospitals and skilled nursing facilities], Medical Baseline customers, Large business customers, Local governments, and Designated government agencies) using their automated notification system. The notification will provide the outage schedule and the groups impacted.
Tools and Resources
- Alert, Warning, and Emergency Notices
- California Independent System Operator (CAISO)
- Cool Centers
- Flex Your Power
- Rebates and Incentives
- Rotating Outage Information and Group Maps