Slip, Anchorage and Mooring Rentals
Most visiting cruisers choose a public mooring or anchorage for their short stay as these options tend to be easily available. Below is information about renting a space in the harbor including the rules and regulations. For mooring or slip rentals, contact the Harbor Department at email@example.com or 949-270-8159. Note: Rentals hours are from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. only.
Marina Park Guest Slips
Newport Beach's newest, award-winning Marina Park offers 23-overnight slips for vessels up to 55 feet. Marina Park is a 10.5-acre community center and sailing center with an onsite cafe, the Lighthouse Bayview Cafe. Guest accommodations include laundry, showers and restroom facilities, utilities, free Wi-Fi and beach, playground and picnic areas. For more information or to reserve a guest slip, please visit our Marina Park web page.
Guest moorings are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Guest moorings may not be reserved in advance. As you approach the harbor entrance, contact the Harbor Department to inquire about availability. All guests are required to stop at the Harbor Department's visitors dock to check in, or meet a harbor vessel on the water. You must have vessel documentation or registration information, insurance paperwork and your photo I.D.
Most of the moorings in the harbor are secured via bow and stern and may or may not be equipped with the tackle necessary to secure your boat. Be prepared to rig your own lines to the mooring cans. If needed, assistance may be provided by Harbor Department staff.
Marina Park Rental Moorings
Rental moorings are now available close to Marina Park. The City-owned moorings in H and J field to the south channel (side closest to Marina Park) have been converted into sand-line type moorings and are indicated by a single white and blue mooring can with a designation of "MP RENTAL" 1 through 10. These moorings are available for rent at the standard mooring rental rates (see below) and can be reserved.
Mooring Sub-Permit Rental Rules and Fees
- All vessels must register with the Harbor Department.
- Maximum number of days per permit is limited to 15 days.
- Vessel must be present, currently registered or documented, seaworthy and mechanically operable.
- Check out time is 12 p.m.
- Rental fees
- Online mooring sub-permit application - Prospective renters may complete an online application, upload insurance and registration documents and submit them directly to the Harbor Department. Once received, the prospective renter must call prior to their arrival date to confirm a vacant mooring assignment along and complete the permit process.
- The above form form can be used for Marina Park rental mooring reservations. All standard rules and regulations for mooring sub-permits apply. If you would like to make a reservation for a Marina Park mooring, please use the online application to submit your information, insurance and registration documents. Once submitted, please contact our office at 949-270-8159 to complete your reservation and the permit process.
The only harbor anchorage is located between Lido Island and Bay Island. Marked by four yellow buoys, it offers a minimum depth of approximately 10 feet with good holding mud. Most boats swing on one anchor, so position yourself carefully with neighboring boats and to avoid swinging outside the marked boundaries.
The anchorage time limit is 72 hours, with an extension of 48 hours if permitted by the Harbormaster, and boats may not be left unattended in the evenings or during inclement weather. The anchorage is free of charge (for vessels under 80 feet). Notify the Harbor Department upon arrival.
Raft-Ups in the anchorage area are only permitted via an signed and approved raft-up application. Applications must be submitted to the Harbor Department (firstname.lastname@example.org) at least 30-days prior to the event (the City's Harbormaster may choose to approve applications submitted later than 30 days on a case-by-case basis.)
Anchoring Outside the Harbor Entrance
Anchoring is allowed just outside the harbor entrance off Corona del Mar State Beach, immediately outside the East Jetty. Anchorage in this area is subject to the below listed rules. Failure to follow these rules may result in your vessel being impounded.
- 72-hour maximum stay
- Continuous occupancy from dusk to dawn
- Continuous occupancy during any small craft or greater advisory
- Single three-hour shore excursion daily is allowed
Depths range from 20 to 30 feet with fair holding in the sand and rock. This scenic anchorage is pleasant in good conditions but can put you on a dangerous lee shore when the weather blows. Stay well clear of the marked swimming area.
While visiting Newport Harbor the below regulations and rules are applicable for all users of a rented guest slip, mooring or anchorage.
- Rentals are processed during regular business hours of 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. daily. No after hours rentals are accommodated. Visitors arriving after hours are to check in with the Harbor Department at 8 a.m.
- Check out time is 11 a.m. at the Marina Park guest slips and 12 p.m. for anchorages and moorings. Renters in violation of adhering to the check out times are subject to having their vessel impounded. Any request for an extension must be made in person at the Harbor Operations Division office prior to the noted check out time.
- All vessels must register with the Harbor Operations Division regardless of the length of stay and provide or meet the following:
- Vessels must be present at the time of check in
- Proof of current registration or documentation must be provided
- Vessels must be seaworthy and mechanically operable
- Vessels may be boarded for an inspection of the sanitary system
- While at the guest slip, anchorage or mooring, the following is prohibited:
- Making unreasonable noise between the hours of 10 p.m. and 7 a.m.
- Maintenance of vessels
- Conducting commercial activity
- Deterring sea lions from resting on vessels using approved methods.
- No barbecues or similar cooking apparatus is allowed on docks.
- Compliance with the following within Newport Harbor:
- No wake zone
- No discharge zone (public pump-out stations)
- Environmental regulations
- Newport Beach Municipal Code