Frequently Asked Questions

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Where is my vision/dental insurance card?

  • Cigna Dental and MES Vision do not issue insurance cards. To download a printable copy of the card, please visit the carrier website and log in to your account.  An alternative to printing a card is to call or stop by human resources, and we can provide you with the group numbers for your plan(s).

What is my dental and/or vision group number?

  • Dental
    • 2021
  • Vision 
    • 2021

How do I submit a claim for reimbursement from my Flexible Spending/Dependent Care Account?

  • Please visit the Flexible Spending Account website to download a claim form and review the instructions for submitting for reimbursement.

What is the maximum election I can make for my Flexible Spending Account?

  • For 2021, the maximum election is $2,750 per year, per individual.

What is the maximum election I can make for my Dependent Care Account?

  • The maximum election is $5,000 per year, per family.

How do I know which Region I am in when selecting a plan for the upcoming year?

  •  Please see the list below to determine if you are eligible to enroll in Region 2 or Region 3 health plans. Employees may elect coverage using their home or employer ZIP Code.
    • Region 2 counties: Fresno, Imperial, Inyo, Kern, Kings, Madera, Orange, San Diego, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Tulare, Ventura
    • Region 3 counties: Los Angeles, Riverside, San Bernardino

When can I start using my Benny Card?

  • You are able to access the full amount of your FSA at the first of the year. For your DCA Benny Card, you only have access to the amount that you have paid into the account year-to-date. Please note that there is a brief lag time between when the amount is deducted from your paycheck and when the amount is posted by WORKTERRA in your DCA account.

What is the deadline to submit a claim for my Flexible Spending/Dependent Care Account?

  • The deadline to submit a claim for reimbursement for the current plan year is March 31 of the following year. If you have additional questions regarding your FSA/DCA, please click here to view a list of frequently asked questions.

What is a qualifying event?

  • As a result of certain life events, you may be eligible for a special enrollment period outside of the annual open enrollment period.  These events include, but are not limited to, a loss in coverage, marriage, or birth of a child. If you believe you have a qualifying event and are interested in enrolling in city medical, dental and/or vision, please contact HR Benefits at ext. 3294 as soon as possible.

How long do I have to add my new spouse/baby to my health insurance?

  • 60 days.

I am having a problem with my health insurance; can HR contact the carrier on my behalf?

  • If you are having trouble with your health insurance provider, please contact human resources and we can work with you to get the information and assistance you need. Pursuant to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Privacy Rule, health plans are not permitted to disclose individually identifiable health information without authorization from their insured. Should your circumstances require human resources to contact the carrier on your behalf, we will ask you to complete a HIPAA-compliant authorization.

Where can I view my benefits information?

  • You can review benefits and salary information on Employee Self Service (ESS). Within ESS one can also submit timesheets, update contact information and tax withholdings, leave balances, check history, and payroll deductions. It is strongly recommended that employees review their personal information and update when necessary. The login ID is your five-digit employee ID number and the initial password is the last four digits of your social security number in the format 0000. You may change your password after logging in for the first time.
  • You can also visit your provider's site for information on creating a member profile to access your account information. 


If you still have questions regarding your benefits, please contact HR Benefits at or 949-644-3294.