We were notified that someone claiming to work with the City of Newport Beach on the Senior Housing Assistance Repair Program contacted at least one resident and offered to visit their home to see if the property qualifies for the program. Please be aware that the caller is not affiliated with the City or our partner in SHARP, Habitat for Humanity of Orange County. We are not “cold calling” residents offering home inspections.
If you have any questions about claims of being a SHARP representative or SHARP, please call the OASIS Senior Center at 949-644-3244.
Senior Housing Assistance Repair Program (SHARP)
A new program for low income seniors in need of critical home repairs, the Newport Beach SHARP program is a collaboration between the City and Habitat for Humanity of Orange County. The program aims to help low income seniors in need of critical home repair or modifications due to accessibility needs, safety concerns, health and well being, or rectifying a citation from Code Enforcement.
- Newport Beach homeowner currently living in the home that is in need of repair
- Age 60 and older
- At or below the 50th percentile of the median income of Orange County with net assets not to exceed gross household income for 18 months
- Home repair is of a critical nature (accessibility, safety concerns, health and well-being, cited by Code Enforcement)
- Applicant must currently live in housing that is unsafe or otherwise in poor condition
- Applicant must be unable to perform the repairs themselves
- Net assets of household may not exceed gross household income for 18 months
- Applicant must be unable to afford to pay a market rate contractor to complete the repairs
- Applicant must be willing to work with Habitat for Humanity of Orange County and City staff
- Applicant must be willing to provide a nominal financial contribution toward the project
- Project approval is at the discretion of program staff
- Intake process
- Full application
- Provide necessary documentation
- In-person interview
- Home inspection (Note: SHARP program staff do not cold calling residents to schedule inspections)
The processing time may vary depending on the capacity of program staff, and could take as long as four months. Similarly, if the application is approved, it may take some time before the home repair project begins (anywhere from one month to one year). The amount of time required to complete the home repair project depends upon the nature of the work, the number of other applicants already been approved for the program, funding, and other related factors.
Approval of applicants for selection is dependent upon assessment of the following criteria:
- Ability to meet all eligibility requirements; and
- Willingness to partner with OASIS and Habitat for Humanity Orange County.
In addition to these criteria, OASIS and Habitat Orange County reserve the right to select recipients according to affiliate budget and capacity. Applicants will be notified of their status after program staff have carried out a complete evaluation, which includes but is not limited to a financial underwriting process, home visit and home assessment.
For more information about the program, how to qualify or apply, please contact the City's OASIS staff at 949-644-3244.