Orange County Cities Energy Partnership
Energy sustainability is all about meeting present energy demands responsibly while ensuring future generations have the capacity they will need to carry on. Through the Orange County Cities Energy Partnership, we are working closely with Southern California Edison, the Southern California Gas Company, and our neighbors in Huntington Beach, Fountain Valley, Westminster and Costa Mesa to identify and create projects to improve long term energy efficiency and sustainability throughout our local area.
What are Our Goals?
We are committed to meeting the state mandate to reduce greenhouse emissions and energy consumption by 15% from a 2010 baseline for municipal facilities of 20,842,759 kWh before 2020. Our efforts will include:
- Installing energy efficient lighting, lighting and temperature controls, HVAC improvements.
- Monitoring local government utility accounts.
- Energy Star rated appliances and benchmarking.
- Technical energy audits of the city’s major facilities.
- Carbon reporting by utilizing an energy management information system.
- Achieving Platinum Partner status with SCE (community wide and government facilities). The more energy we conserve the more money we save!
What Does This Means to You?
When an entire city makes energy efficiency a priority, everyone benefits. Tax dollars are conserved, reduced strain on our power grid makes energy delivery more reliable, and we significantly reduce our impact on the environment.
Now it’s your turn to join the movement. Visit www.SCE.com to learn more about what you can do to participate in energy conservation today and join the City of Newport Beach as we work to move our energy into the future.
Ways You Can Save -- On Money and Energy!
- Rebates on CFL lighting that use 75% less energy than incandescent light bulbs - http://www.sce.com/residential/rebates-savings/lighting/saving-more-with-cfls.htm
- Pool covers lower your pool heating costs as much as 50%, reduce water evaporation, and cut down on chemical costs - http://www.socalgas.com/for-your-home/conservation-tips/pools-and-spas.shtml
- Request a no-cost Energy Efficiency Starter Kit - http://www.socalgas.com/for-your-home/energy-savings/starter-kit.shtml
- Install a qualified energy-efficient pool pump & motor and receive a $200 rebate - http://www.sce.com/residential/rebates-savings/pool/pool-pump-motor.htm
- Rebates for A/C installation and maintenance - http://www.sce.com/residential/rebates-savings/heating-cooling/air-conditioner-quality.htm
- Take the online SCE Home Energy Survey and learn ways that you could save energy and money at home - http://www.sce.com/_Tools/Residential/homeenergysurvey.htm
What We’ve Done So Far
- “Building Green” construction manual created by the City’s Task Force on Green Development. www.newportbeachca.gov/green
- City-wide street light LED replacement. (Over 400 units replaced to date).
- Marketing, education, and outreach at the annual Race for the Cure and HOA meetings where electricity, water, and gas efficiency information will be distributed to attendees.
- Annual streetlight improvement project
- Dolphin Pump Station retrofits
- Tamara Pump Stations retrofits
- 16th Street Pump retrofits
- Central Library HVAC Retro-Commissioning
- Technical energy audits for municipal facilities
- Energy Action Plan
- Strategic Planning w/EEMIS
- Plug load sensors
- New municipal buildings projects through Savings-by-Design
Komen Orange County Race for the Cure
Direct Install (more information to come)