City Council Policy L-12 allows private property owners who live along the oceanfront to encroach onto the public right-of-way. Property owners are charged an annual fee for the permitted improvements.
Oceanfront Encroachments are allowed in the following three parcel zones between:
- Santa Ana River and 52nd Street - maximum of 15' oceanward
- 52nd Street and 26th Street - maximum of 10' oceanward
- A Street and a point 250' southeast of E Street - up to the sidewalk
Permitted improvements include:
- Patio slabs or decks
- Walls and/or fences less than 36" in height
Oceanfront Encroachments require the processing of an Oceanfront Encroachment Permit and Agreement with the Public Works Department. The following is required when making application:
- Site address
- Detailed description of proposed work
- Complete property owner information
- Contractor information
- Detailed site plan, drawn to scale
For additional information on Oceanfront Encroachment Permits contact our Development Engineering Section by calling 949-644-3311 or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org.