"Sobier Photo Project" by Ed Olen
July 8 - September 6, 2019, Central Library Gallery
The Newport Beach City Arts Commission presents a the "Sobier Photo Project" by celebrated photographer Ed Olen, on display at the Newport Beach Central Library gallery.
Ed Olen has traveled to Haiti with The Heart of Hollywood Foundation on yearly mission trips since 2012. For the past three years the organization has focused on the village of Sobier, which was particularly devastated by the 2010 earthquake. Olen always photographs his trips, but his year he decided to try something new. With the help of strategic and handmade props, Olen juxtaposes a culture of wealth against a community of need.
"It's the village that is being overlooked, " Olen says, "So I decided to do this series to bring attention to them." Ed Olen captures the unique personalities of his subjects, creating striking images that demand attention and evoke reaction. "This village is among the most ravaged we've seen in Haiti, " Olen says, "It's third world poverty 75 minutes from Miami."
The Heart of Hollywood Foundation has begun construction on a clinic for the community, projected to be completed this spring. "Now we want to focus on a well for fresh water because it's a 2-hour plus round-trip for them to get fresh water every day."
Ed Olen spent 10 years shooting food and fashion for local luxury lifestyle publication, Coast Magazine, and currently freelances in the greater Orange County and Los Angeles areas.
The exhibition will be on display during library operating hours, July 8 through September 6, 2019.
- Special photographic exhibition: "Then and Now": September 9 - November 1
- Sherry Marger ("Destination Art", acrylic on canvas): November 4 - January 3, 2020
- Gail White ("Shore & Marsh Birds", photography): January 6 - March 6
- Lauren Mendelsohn-Bass (oil on canvas): March 9 - May 8
- Bow Seat Ocean Awareness Programs ("Youth Ocean Art", mixed media): May 11 - July 10
- William Leung (acrylic on canvas): July 13 - September 4
- Agnes Schenk ("Never Stop Blooming", oil on canvas): September 8 - November 6
- "Fake or Fortune: Provenance and Attribution" (exhibition and lecture): November 9 - January 8, 2021
- Richard Ferncase (Photography): January 11 - March 5
- Quilts on the Wall (Textiles): March 8 - May 7
- Sunny Kim (Acrylics): May 10 - July 2
- Ann Apeles Brunning ("Flying Flowers", photography): July 5 - September 3
- Roxanne Sexauer (Woodcuts & Linocuts): September 7 - November 5
- Lisa Fu (Watercolors): November 8 - January 7, 2022
To have artwork considered for an exhibition at the Central Library, download and fill out the Application for Consideration Art
In the News
- Diana Ghoukassian is Glimpsing the Nature of Things
- Newport Beach artist Chip Fesko's geometric watercolors are on display
- Fernando Del Rosario's Real Heroes at the Library
- Joan Irving Brandt Centennial
- Agnes Schenk - Her own show at 87
- Library hosts first-ever exhibition for artist
- Newport Beach honors watercolorist Rex Brandt
- An artistic celebration for Rex Brandt at Library
- City Honors Rex Brandt
- Famed watercolorist comes home to Newport Beach
- City to honor CDM Artist with Saturday events
- Rex Brandt Centennial Celebration & Art Exhibit