Places to See
Visitors and locals of all ages enjoy the many fun places to play and explore in Newport Beach. The list of things to do and see is lengthy, but just a few ideas include:
- Spend a morning enjoying a walk or bike ride along the Upper Newport Bay Ecological Reserve (see our walking trails map for more locations to take a stroll or hike). Or hop on a charter fishing boat, whale watching excursion, or catch a boat ride over to Catalina - all from the Balboa Peninsula.
- Later, surf or swim in the Pacific and enjoy the California sunshine along the eight miles of City beaches. Take time to shop in one of the city’s distinct “villages” or picnic in one of its beautifully maintained parks. And, be sure to visit the Newport Beach Public Library. Its consistently ranked among the top libraries in the U.S. and offers free classes and programs throughout the year.
- As the day winds down, stop by the Ocean Front Walk in the early evening to watch the sunset and later dine at one of the City’s many outstanding restaurants. Don’t forget to the check for community events, art exhibits or local concerts occurring during your visit (more information below).
Things to Do
Newport Beach is known for hosting a number of popular, annual events.
In the spring of each year, the city is home to the Newport Beach International Film Festival, the start of the Newport to Ensenada International Yacht Race, and the Toshiba Classic. For those looking for a good workout, the city streets accommodate thousands of runners and walkers for the Corona del Mar Scenic 5K and the Orange County Marathon.
Summertime brings the annual Balboa Island Parade and the City’s outstanding lineup of week-long summer camps. As the months get warmer, Newport Beach hosts its Fourth of July is for Families Bike Parade and Carnival and co-hosts the annual Independence Day Parade and Celebration at Mariners Park. When the sun sets on the Fourth of July, the Dunes Waterfront Resort hosts the City’s fireworks display. In late July and August, don’t miss the City’s free concerts on the Civic Center Green.
Each September, thousands flock to Fashion Island for the Susan J. Komen Race for the Cure.
For the holidays, there’s the annual Christmas Boat Parade in Newport Harbor and the Corona del Mar Christmas Walk. Then early in the new year, the Newport Beach Restaurant Association hosts its popular Restaurant Week event.
For more information about places to see and things to do in Newport Beach, please check the Newport Beach Conference and Visitor Bureau (visitnewportbeach.com) website. The Newport Beach Chamber of Commerce (newportbeach.com) and the Corona del Mar Chamber of Commerce (cdmchamber.com) websites also maintain listings of community events. And, the Newport Beach Restaurant Association (dinenb.com) offers dining options for all tastes and budgets.
Still looking for things to do, check the listing below for more ideas.
- Back Bay Look Trail
- Back Bay Science Center
- Beaches and Bay
- Bike Safety Information
- Cultural Arts
- Environmental Nature Center
- Newport Beach Public Library
- Newport Harbor
- Parks and Facilities
- Sculpture in the Civic Center Park
We hope you enjoy exploring Newport Beach.