The only harbor anchorage is located between Lido Island and Bay Island. Marked by four yellow buoys, it offers a minimum depth of approximately 10 feet with good holding mud. Most boats swing on one anchor, so position yourself carefully with neighboring boats and to avoid swinging outside the marked boundaries.
Harbor anchorage has a time limit of 72 hours, with an extension of 48 hours if permitted by the Harbormaster. Boats may not be left unattended in the evenings or during inclement weather. The anchorage is free of charge (for vessels under 80 feet). Notify the Harbor Department upon arrival.
Raft-Ups in the anchorage area are only permitted via a signed and approved raft-up application. Applications must be submitted to the Harbor Department (email@example.com) at least 30-days prior to the event (the City's Harbormaster may choose to approve applications submitted later than 30 days on a case-by-case basis.)
Anchoring Outside the Harbor Entrance
Anchoring is allowed just outside the harbor entrance off Corona del Mar State Beach, immediately outside the East Jetty. Anchorage in this area is subject to the rules listed below. Failure to follow these rules may result in your vessel being impounded.
- 72-hour maximum stay
- Continuous occupancy from dusk to dawn
- Continuous occupancy during any small craft or greater advisory
- Single three-hour shore excursion daily is allowed
Depths range from 20 to 30 feet with fair holding in the sand and rock. This scenic anchorage is pleasant in good conditions, but can put you on a dangerous lee shore when the weather blows. Stay clear of the marked swimming area.
While visiting Newport Harbor the regulations and rules below are applicable for all users of a rented guest slip, mooring or anchorage.
- Applicable Harbor Fees
- Rentals are processed during regular business hours of 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. daily. No after hours rentals are accommodated. Visitors arriving after hours are to check in with the Harbor Department at 8 a.m. the following morning.
- Check out time is 11 a.m. for the Marina Park guest slips and 12 p.m. for anchorages and moorings. Renters in violation of adhering to the check out times are subject to having their vessel impounded. Any request for an extension must be made in person at the Harbor Department prior to the noted check out time.
- All vessels must register with the Harbor Department regardless of the length of stay and meet the following expectations:
- Vessels must be present at the time of check in
- Proof of current registration or documentation must be provided
- Vessels must be seaworthy and mechanically operable
- Please note: Vessels may be boarded for an inspection of the sanitary system
- While at the guest slip, anchorage or mooring, the following is prohibited:
- Making unreasonable noise between the hours of 10 p.m. and 7 a.m.
- Vessel Maintenance
- Conducting commercial activity
- No barbecues or similar cooking apparatus is allowed on docks.
- Compliance with the following within Newport Harbor: