The Newport Beach Central Library is currently open the to the public with modified hours and services.
Following the State guidelines, the Central Library has restarted in-person services incrementally. Face-coverings are required for both staff and the public entering the Library. Initial services allow patrons to browse the shelves, check out materials, and manage accounts. Public computers will be available on a limited basis.
In accordance with guidelines from the State of California, Newport Beach Public Library has implemented a variety of precautions to make the environment as safe as possible for staff and the public. The Central Library is equipped with Plexiglass barriers at public service desks, social distancing demarcation signage and hand-sanitizers.
Quilts on the Wall: It's Not All Black and White, textiles
July 6 - September 3, 2021, Central Library
The City Arts Commission is delighted to showcase a unique juried textile collection. Each piece was created by an artist who is a member of Quilts on the Wall, an association of Southern California textile artists dedicated to converting the traditional three-layered bed quilt into textile art displayed on the wall in galleries and homes.
It’s Not All Black and White refers to a metaphor representing two different extremes, or two opposites. Children and adults alike may often fall prey to thinking in extreme terms as opposed to seeing the whole picture. This collection asks that the viewer not limit themselves to seeing the world, and the art on display, in black and white. When viewed as a whole, this collection creates a vivid and expressive experience for the viewer—a visual journey that is uninhibited, striking, and forceful—yet allows each individual artist a unique voice to express their artistic style.
Several pieces created by members of Quilts on the Wall have been featured in national magazines such as Quilting Arts Magazine, Art Quilting Studio Magazine, and Studio Art Quilting Associates (SAQA) Journals. Each year, new special exhibits created by members of Quilts on the Wall are featured at the Road to California’s Quilts International Convention, the Mancuso Quilt Festival, local galleries, and across the United States.
The exhibition will be on display July 6 through September 3, 2021, during the library's operating hours.
(Ripe Berries by Sharon Jaeger)
- Richard Ferncase (Photography): September 7 - November 5
- Sunny Kim (Acrylics): November 8 - January 7, 2022
- Roxanne Sexauer (Woodcuts & Linocuts): January 10 - March 4
- Lisa Fu (Watercolors): March 7 - May 6
- Ann Apeles Brunning ("Flying Flowers", photography): May 9 - July 1
- Rob Williams (Photography): July 5 - September 2
- Shant Beudjekian (Acrylic): September 6 - November 4
- Helen Polin-Jones (Watercolor Portraits): November 7 - January 6, 2023
To have artwork considered for an exhibition at the Central Library, download and fill out the Application for Consideration Art
In the News
- Diana Ghoukassian is Glimpsing the Nature of Things
- Newport Beach artist Chip Fesko's geometric watercolors are on display
- Fernando Del Rosario's Real Heroes at the Library
- Joan Irving Brandt Centennial
- Agnes Schenk - Her own show at 87
- Library hosts first-ever exhibition for artist
- Newport Beach honors watercolorist Rex Brandt
- An artistic celebration for Rex Brandt at Library
- City Honors Rex Brandt
- Famed watercolorist comes home to Newport Beach
- City to honor CDM Artist with Saturday events
- Rex Brandt Centennial Celebration & Art Exhibit