City Council Study Session – Date to be announced
VE FLOOD ZONE LOCATION
On March 21, 2019, new FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency) Flood Insurance Maps went into effect in the City. The new FEMA maps include the designation of a Special Flood Hazard Area (VE Zone) along the coast in West Newport. The
VE Zone covers 166 West Ocean Front properties between 24th Street and 48th Street. Of 166 affected properties, 139 are designed as VE Zone 15 and remaining 27 properties are designated as VE Zone 13.
VE Flood Zone Vicinity Map:
PROPOSED CODE AMENDMENT
New development within the VE Zone is required to meet FEMA design criteria, which include elevated structures (i.e., the use of pilings, post, piers or columns) to raise the first floor of the structure to be above the Base Flood Elevation (BFE). The BFE in the West Newport VE Zone is approximately three to four feet above the existing grade. FEMA design criteria also requires buildings to have an open foundation and to be free of obstructions.
The FEMA VE Zone design criteria presents a number of conflicts with current Zoning Code and certified LCP (Local Coastal Program Implementation Plan) development regulations and procedures. To address the use and access challenges for new homes that need to be raised per FEMA requirements, a zoning code amendment is proposed to allow the followings:
- Raised walkways with 42-inch guardrails and stairs with railings for access to/from the ground in the 3-foot side yard setback; and
- Raised deck with 42-inch guardrails and stairs with railings for access to/from the ground in the 5-foot front yard setback.
PUBLIC OUTREACH MEETINGS
- Community meeting with property owners located in VE Flood zone, nearby residents, and design professionals - April 8, 2019
- Community meeting with design professionals – December 2, 2021
- Community meeting for property owners located in VE Flood zone and nearby residents – January 19, 2022
- City Council study session – February 2022
- Public Hearings – Anticipated 2022
FEMA FLOOD MAPS RESOURCES
Liz Westmoreland, Associate Planner
Rosalinh Ung, Principal Planner