This project is located at the intersection of Superior Avenue and West Coast Highway and involves the construction of a new pedestrian/bicycle bridge across Superior Avenue and a larger parking lot. Because of the close proximity to the beach, there is a significant amount of pedestrian and bicycle traffic at this intersection. The adjacent Sunset Ridge Park, which was completed in December 2014, is a 13.7-acre active park with a baseball field and two soccer fields. Unfortunately, due to California Coastal Development Permit constraints associated with the Sunset Ridge Park development, on-site parking was not included with the development of the park. Visitors to Sunset Ridge Park currently park at the existing parking lot on the southeast side of Superior Avenue. The existing parking lot only has 64 parking stalls and does not provide adequate parking for large organized sporting events. The primary goals of this project are to increase parking and improve pedestrian and bicycle safety and access to Sunset Ridge Park.
Proposed improvements include the following:
- New pedestrian/bicycle bridge approximately 260 feet long and 14 feet wide overcrossing Superior Avenue
- New larger parking lot with approximately 128 parking spaces
- Extension of upper Sunset View Park (open space)
- Earthwork, grading and retaining walls
- Landscape and irrigation improvements
- Amenities including a drop-off area, bicycle fix-it station, and a drinking water fountain
Project Status (Updated 2/7/2020):
City staff held five separate community outreach meetings with Newport Crest, Villa Balboa, Lido Sands and West Newport communities to discuss the draft conceptual design, which can be accessed here. The draft conceptual design was also presented to the City’s Parks, Beaches and Recreation Commission on August 6, 2019.
The draft environmental document (Initial Study/Mitigated Negative Declaration – IS/MND) was circulated for public review from September 23 to October 23, 2019. Please click on the following link to access this document: www.newportbeachca.gov/ceqa, then click on "Superior Avenue IS MND for Public Review". On November 19, 2019, the City approved the conceptual design with the concrete bridge structure, adopted the IS/MND and approved a Professional Services Agreement to begin final design efforts.
- California Coastal Development Permit: May 2020 to January 2021
- Final Design: November 2019 to April 2021
- Construction Bidding and Award: May 2021 to July 2021
- Construction: August 2021 to Nov 2022
You are encouraged to visit this City project web page
(www.newportbeachca.gov/superiorbridge) regularly for the most up-to-date project information.
Public Works Department
Andy Tran, P.E.