COVID-19: Recreation & Senior Services Department Updates
The Recreation & Senior Services Department is excited for the opportunity to provide in-person camps this summer! We used State and County guidelines to offer as many outdoor summer camps and activities to you as possible. You can expect marketing and Instagram updates about which camps will be available soon. In the meantime, we will continue to encourage all to visit our Online Recreation Center or check out the Virtual Camps subpage of www.campnewport.com.
- Camps may begin as early as June 15 if the camp can adhere to all guidelines. Please visit newportbeachca.gov/register for our approved camps.
- We are hosting outdoor camps only.
The following courts: basketball, pickleball, handball and volleyball are open for household unit play when social distancing cannot be maintained for certain sports. Tennis and pickleball courts are open for doubles, with safety guidelines. City parks and amenities are open including the dog park. However, the playgrounds are still closed. For additional information, updates and the latest press release please click here.
All community centers are closed until further notice.
City staff are available during regular business hours. Please call 949-644-3151 with any questions.
Check out our programs!
There are a lot of great virtual programs and select outdoor camps & activities to keep you busy this summer in a fun, safe and friendly environment. Signup for a class or join a waitlist today! Visit us for updates as we will continue to add more camps and classes in the coming weeks. Space will be limited, so check back often.
The Newport Navigator is the department's quarterly recreational guide to classes, camps and activities. Whether you’re interested in classes, surfing, sailing, camps, or pintsized programs, this guide has the perfect activity for you.
Become An Instructor
A Contract Instructor is an independent contractor for the City (Contract Instructors are not employees) who is interested in providing a service to the community in the form of a class, workshop or camp. All who are interested in becoming an instructor must complete the Contract Instructor Application and submit it to the City of Newport Beach Recreation and Senior Services Department for review.
Contract instructors do not rent the city facilities, however a portion of the fees collected are retained by the City to cover facility usage, registration, administration and promotion of the class in the Newport Navigator. All applications must be submitted six to eight months prior to the desired session (however, summer classes are reviewed in October). Thank you for your interest in becoming a Contract Instructor for the City of Newport Beach Recreation and Senior Services Department.
Current Contract Instructors
- Login Into Your ActiveNet Account
- Submit your class proposal (Accepting Fall 2020 classes through April 17, 2020)
- Submit your summer camp proposal (No longer accepting 2020 proposals. Contact your Coordinator for more information)
- Registration form with updated waiver
- Program Guidelines for Summer 2020
- Instructor Handout for Summer 2020
- Accident Report
- Cancelled, Refund & Transfer Activity Form
- Direct Deposit Change Form
- Emergency Forms
- Exhibit A
- Going Home Slip
- Incident Report
- Instructor Handbook 2019-2020
- Late Log
- Parental Consent Form-Background Check
- RSS Class Manager Instructor Guidelines (proposal app instructions)
- Subcontractor Fingerprint Procedures
2020 Navigator Production Timeline (*dates are subject to change as needed)
Camp Newport 2020
3/5 (early bird ends 5/4)