SENIOR ASSESSMENT PROGRAM
OASIS staff assists seniors by suggesting and coordinating services
allowing them to stay in their homes and live independently. An
assessment of the individual senior and his or her current living
situation is conducted and then a variety of outside agencies as
well as OASIS programs are suggested.
This service is currently being offered by phone due to the pandemic
INFORMATION & REFERRALReferrals to a vast assortment of information regarding senior
services such as home health care, housing options, adult day care,
assisted living and retirement facilities, legal assistance, Medicare
assistance, support groups, ombudsman services and more. If we
don’t know, we will find out.
MEDICAL DOCUMENTSThe California Hospital Association’s Advance Health Care Directive.
Available in the Administration Office.
MEDICAL EQUIPMENT TO LOANWheelchairs and walkers are available in the Administration Office. Click HERE for more details.
TELEPHONE REASSURANCEDaily telephone call for seniors who live alone and have limited
contact with friends or relatives.
OASIS VOLUNTEERS MAKE FRIENDLY PHONE CALLSReceive a daily phone call from a friendly OASIS volunteer to check-in and/or chat for a while. To be added to the call list, call 949-644-3244 or email Susie DiGiovanna at firstname.lastname@example.org.
OC WARM LINEEmotional support and resources:
Monday-Saturday, 9 am – 3 am; Sunday, 10 am – 3 am
Virtual support groups:
▪ NAMI OC Online Support Groups
CRISIS TEXT LINEFree, 24/7 support for those in crisis. Text 741741 from anywhere in the US to text with a trained Crisis Counselor. Crisis Text Line trains volunteers to support people in crisis. Over 100 million messages processed to date.
Text HOME to 741741 to connect with a Crisis Counselor.
COVID-19 HOTLINEOrange County Health Care Agency
Provided by the Orange County Vital Aging Program, this screening promotes early detection and prevention of Alzheimer’s Disease and related disorders.
In-person screening at OASIS or Hoag.
Call 949-764-6288 or visit www.OCVitalAging.org | $45/Screening Fee
VISUAL AID SCREENING
Provided by the Braille Institute. When eye glasses are no longer sufficient, make an appointment with the Braille representative for a visual screening. Physician referral required.
Call 714-821-5000 or visit www.brailleinstitute.org.
HICAP: Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy Program
HICAP counselors assist you with information regarding health insurance, Medicare, Part D Drug Plan, Medi-Cal, HMOs,
supplemental and long term care insurance. Available twice monthly. Appointments are necessary and held in OASIS Administration Office.
The lawyers donate their time and offer a free half-hour consultation. Appointments are necessary; call 949-644-3244. Consultations are held in the OASIS Administration Office. Currently being held by phone only.
- Newport Beach homeowner currently living in the home that is in need of repair
- Age 60 and older
- At or below the 50th percentile of the median income of Orange County with net assets not to exceed gross household income for 18 months
- Home repair is of a critical nature (accessibility, safety concerns, health and well-being, cited by Code Enforcement)
- Applicant must currently live in housing that is unsafe or otherwise in poor condition
- Applicant must be unable to perform the repairs themselves
- Net assets of household may not exceed gross household income for 18 months
- Applicant must be unable to afford to pay a market rate contractor to complete the repairs
- Applicant must be willing to work with Habitat for Humanity of Orange County and City staff
- Applicant must be willing to provide a nominal financial contribution toward the project
- Project approval is at the discretion of program staff
The first step in applying for assistance from SHARP begins with the completion of our Full application. Once the full application is approved the next steps include the following:
- Intake process
- Provide necessary documentation
- In-person interview
- Home inspection (Note: SHARP program staff do not cold calling residents to schedule inspections)
The processing time may vary depending on the capacity of program staff, and could take as long as four months. Similarly, if the application is approved, it may take some time before the home repair project begins (anywhere from one month to one year). The amount of time required to complete the home repair project depends upon the nature of the work, the number of other applicants already been approved for the program, funding, and other related factors.
Approval of applicants for selection is dependent upon assessment of the following criteria:
- Ability to meet all eligibility requirements
- Willingness to partner with OASIS and Habitat for Humanity Orange County
In addition to these criteria, OASIS and Habitat Orange County reserve the right to select recipients according to affiliate budget and capacity. Applicants will be notified of their status after program staff have carried out a complete evaluation, which includes but is not limited to a financial underwriting process, home visit and home assessment.
For more information about the program, how to qualify or apply, please contact the City's OASIS staff at 949-644-3244.
ALZHEIMER'S CAREGIVER SUPPORT GROUPIn-Person Meetings:
- 4th Wednesday of every month
- OASIS Senior Center Room 5
- 2nd Wednesday of every month
- 1:00PM - Call 844-435-7259 for Zoom information
COMPASSIONATE FRIENDS, Newport Beach Chapter
The mission of The Compassionate Friends: When a child dies, at any age, the family suffers intense pain and may feel hopeless and isolated. The Compassionate Friends provides highly personal comfort, hope, and support to every family experiencing the death of a son or a daughter, a brother or a sister, or a grandchild, and helps others better assist the grieving family.
- 3rd Wednesday of each month
- OASIS Senior Center Room 5
- 3rd Wednesday of the month
- Contact: Basia at 844-444-8231 or email@example.com for Zoom information
GOOD GRIEF CAFE
Open for people of all backgrounds suffering a loss.
- 2nd & 4th Thursday each month
- 3:00pm - 4:30pm
- OASIS Senior Center Room 5
NEW YEAR NEW PERSPECTIVES (Formally Getting Back in the Groove)
In-Person Connection Group
- Thursdays at 2:00PM
- OSASIS Senior Center Room 5
- No RSVP necessary
- Finding companionship
- Getting back out in the world
- Reconnecting - Post Vaccinations